Throughout its history, Christ Church has had a strong emphasis on being part of God’s mission to the world. A large part of this vision has been expressed by Christ Church and St John’s sending missionaries and supporting mission agencies in other parts of Britain and the world.
Just as important, has been the emphasis upon our mission to the local area with every generation in the church’s history seeing building work undertaken to make this mission more effective. This includes the extensions to the church building and halls made in 1878, 1894, 1900, 1927, 1966, 1981 and 2007 and also establishment of the Christ Church Schools in 1870 and 1896 and St John’s and St James’ churches in 1885 and 1904 respectively. The establishment of Oxygen in 2001 to reach out to the young people of Kingston was a further important development here.
In recent years we have sought to develop the mission of Christ Church further by placing a particular emphasis on our calling as a church to reach out to the poor and more marginalised with the love of Jesus Christ. In 2007 we ran the ‘Just People’ course at Christ Church, which resulted in our increased desire to be ‘God’s Community, in the Community, for the Community’.
Our support for mission towards the rest of Britain and the World is coordinated through our Mission Support Group, currently chaired by Carolyn Lucas. It is expressed through…